Blumer – Our company history
Blumer Maschinenbau AG today is a modern company operating worldwide, which plays a leading role in the area of the finishing process of labels and cards cut/punched in stacks. The core business of the company are production systems for wet glue applied labels under the "ATLAS" brand. Also a high priority have powerful hybrid solutions for the punching process of cards, as well as automated systems for the cutting- and banding process of tax stamps for the security business. Due to reasons of aging and lack of successors, Blumer Maschinenbau AG and its subsidiary Blumer (USA) Inc. were sold outside of the family to the entrepreneur René Amherd in 2011. With this step, it was ensured that the company can operate independently with innovative energy well into the future. The proven management team remain unchanged.
Blumer launched new products with great innovative strength
These include the strip die-cutter system SG-2020, the large-format die-cutter system DG-35, as well as the newly designed Atlas-1110 LS – as the successor model of the Atlas-110 – which has established itself as the new industrial standard within a few years. Significant new and additional developments followed in the areas of cross-cutting, cardboard feeding and removal. In 2008, the fully automated Atlas 40 for large- and small-format cut labels was introduced to the market. With the development of the card punching machine CCS 310 for polycarbonate and other difficult-to-process materials, the foundation for the second field of activity in the security area was created. The ICMA (International Card Manufacturers Association) distinguished the CCS card cutting system as the most innovative development of the year with the ELAN award in 2007. Already three years later, another ELAN award nomination followed for the tool adapter CCS 310 M/F. This adapter for male / female tools was used to expand the system to the first hybrid card cutting system worldwide.
Focus on the full automation of label production at Blumer
At the end of the 90's, the focus was on the full automation of label production at Blumer. Together with partners, Blumer found solutions which brought all steps together, from the roll to perfectly banded label stacks. These systems were immediately a big success in the market. Blumer developed the counter pressure system for processing difficult label shapes and materials – another trend-setting innovation. In 1996, the subsidiary Blumer (USA) Inc. in Windsor, Connecticut was founded with its own sales and service organization. One year later, Blumer celebrated its 100-year anniversary with festivities in Otelfingen and Chicago.
1980–1990 Generation change and growth
In 1984, the sole proprietorship Hans Blumer Maschinenfabrik was changed into an incorporated company with headquarters in Otelfingen. Hans Blumer, Sr. retired from the company. With the new company owners and stockholders – Hans Blumer, Jr. and Verena Blumer – the company remained family-owned. Hans Blumer, Jr., as majority stockholder, became the managing director. A few years later, a multiple-storey building was added to the property at Libernstrasse 22 – a modern business complex, which was partially leased. Starting from 1986, Blumer more intensely marketed its products for the graphics business and the packaging industry. With their own sales representatives, a targeted development of the Swiss market was tackled. The decade of success was rounded off with the development and market launch of the models PB-90 and PB-110: These multiple-head banding machines are equipped with up to 18 banding stations and have been well received on the market.
1970–1980 The ATLAS is presented
The company site in Zurich gradually became too small and prompted Blumer to move to Libernstrasse 22 in Otelfingen, where a modern new building was built. Blumer took over the representation of the cutting-, creasing- and perforating lines for steel rule dies manufacturer from the Austrian company Böhler. At the same time, thanks to the take-over of other sales agencies for the graphic and packaging industry, the company was expanded. With the delivery of the last platen-press, an important and successful era was brought to an end, but Blumer opened up the future with new developments. This included the two-stage sawing machine SERVO HIT for the manufacturing process of flat bed dies and the first computer-controlled counter plate milling machine SERVO-STAR worldwide. Blumer's new development of a label production system for the punching process of cut stack labels in combination with a strip-cutting and banding system was proven to be path breaking. At DRUPA 1977, the company presented the prototype of the ATLAS-110 for the first time, after 1980 the ATLAS label production systems systematically conquered the market for cut and punched labels. It has been the new industrial standard up to now, although in its constantly further developed form. The ATLAS system has made Blumer to the trend-setter in label finishing.
1960–1970 Basis for the label and card finishing technology
Blumer has drawn attention with its ever new innovations: The rubber blanket cliché grinding machine (Cliché Schleifmaschine) EXACT, the crease milling machine RNF and the first table banding machine BB-10 were created – a revolutionary system for this time. A decisive breakthrough was made with the construction and development of the ram punching machine D-18. Over 600 specimens of this continuously further-developed machine were made in the coming decades. They formed the basis for Blumer's worldwide success in solutions for the finishing process of labels and cards.
The foundation was laid
Jean Blumer laid the foundation for the company in 1897. In the beginning, he mainly repaired machines and devices in his locksmith shop, before he further developed it into a mechanical workshop. In 1926, Hans Blumer took over the company from his father, Jean. Under his direction, special machines for the textile area have been manufactured. Important developments were added in the 1930's for the graphics and packaging industries. The company grew steadily and had to change sites within Zurich several times. Systems and machines of all kinds were developed and built. These included flycatcher machines, fingerprint devices, stamping instruments, the automation of weaving looms, textile finishing machines, as well as the still legendary Blumer platen presses and the globally highly appreciated MCB bridge-type step and repeat punching machines. In 1953 – the company was just about to move into the new factory hall on Leutschenbachstrasse in Zurich – when Hans Blumer's son, Hans Blumer, Jr., entered the company.